Some Pressing Questions

Going strong at age 61 - and still doing plenty of old-school, stand on your feet, strength training!

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I've had a ton of questions in response to
my earlier post about my clean and press
workout.

So I thought I should answer some of the
more common ones. After all, whenever
one Dino has a question, there are probably
a 100 others who have the same question.

Q. You said you worked up to 270 or even
275 pounds in the clean and press. Was
that a military press or a push press?

A. It was both - because my top clean was
275 pounds back then, and I could always
push press it - and military press it on days
when I felt extra strong.

If I felt strong, I would always try to military
press the 275 pounds.

If I made it, that was it for the day.

If I missed it, I would try again - but push
press it.

Q. Did you ever try push presses from the
rack (or from squat stands)? If so, what was
your top push press?

A. I sometimes did push presses from a
set of wobbly old York squat stands. My
top push press was 320 pounds.

Q. How much did you weigh, and how old
were you then?

A. I was age 40 - 42 back then. I weighed
225 pounds.

In other words, this was 20 years ago. I'm
61 now.

Q. Do you still do the clean and press work-
out?

A. I usually alternate between a snatch
workout and a clean and jerk workout.

Both of them follow the same pattern -
a thorough warm-up, start very light, and
slowly and methodically work up to heavy
weights, doing singles all the way.

So it's very similar to my clean and press
workout from 20 years ago.


Q. Could I try the clean and press workout,
but do sets of three reps?

A. Of course. You can do sets of 5 reps, 3
reps, 2 reps, 4 reps or singles - or you can
do 5/4/3/2/1.

I like singles because I like to use precise,
perfect form on every lift.

Q. Can I do a clean and press workout with
dumbbells or kettlebells?

A. Sure. Just follow the same guidelines -
start light, and work up slowly and
methodically. And always focus on strict
form.

For some great workouts, grab a copy of
Dinosaur Dumbbell Training:



http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

Q. Do you have a good course for increasing
my military press?

A. The Dinosaur Training Military Press and
Shoulder Power Course is the best program
out there for increasing your military press.



You can grab it right here in your choice of
hard-copy, Kindle or PDF editions:

Hard-copy

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_course.html

PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_militarypresscourse_pdf.html


Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/militarypress_kindle.html

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: