Short and Sweat (No, It's Not a Typo!)

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Three updates, and then we'll talk training:

1. Next Tuesday is the BIG DAY -- when we
launch the pre-publication special for
my new book, DINOSAUR DUMBBELL TRAINING!
Be watching for it!

1A. Everyone who reserves a copy of the book
during the pre-publication special gets a
free bonus.

1B. If you want me to autograph your book
for you, all you need to do is ask -- use
the Special Instructions section of the
on-line order form.

1C. If you want to add my new CD, Seven
Keys to Concentration, to your order and
save on s&h, we can make that happen, too!

2. If you'd like me to do a DVD to go along
with the book, send me an email and let me
know!

2A. So far, we're getting lots and lots of
THUMBS UP responses to the DVD idea. But
don't be shy -- if you want me to do a DVD,
let me know asap!

3. If you are on Facebook, be sure to take
a look at my FB page. I posted a great photo
where I'm doing a heavy dumbbell snatch --
with a weight that exceeds the world record
for my age group and weight class. (It's
about half-way down the page, so scroll
down to find it. I'm the guy with glasses,
a heavy dumbbell in one hand, and chalk
everywhere.)

3A. We shot the photo after I had done 3 or
4 hours of photos for the book -- so I was
one tired Dino by the time it was all over.
We were working out in the garage, on a 90
degree day, and despite drinking a gallon
of water I must have lost five or six pounds.

3B. And yes, it's a real dumbbell -- real
chalk -- and real sweat. I work hard for
you guys!

ON THE TRAINING FRONT  . . . .

Micah Elder shot in an email about his
training program. Micah just turned 50,
and he's stronger today (and leaner) than
when he was in his 20's and 30's  -- which
is pretty darn good.

Of course, back then, Micah trained on
the standard bodybuilding routines from the
muscle comics.

But in his 40's, he began training on
Dino-style abbreviated programs. Over the
years, he has refined his workouts --
usually by making them shorter and
simpler.

His current program has him training just
two days a week (which seems to be about
right for many Dinos over the age of 50).

In one workout, he does squats and chins,
followed by gut and grip work. He does
5 to 10 reps per set, with two work sets
on his big exercises.

In his second workout, he does dips and
high-pulls with a Trap Bar, using the same
sets and reps, followed by gut and grip
work.

And that's it. Short, sweet, and simple. But,
oh, so very, very effective!

Micah writes:

"Here's the best part, though, at least in
my mind. Now that I know that short and sweet
(or short and sweat) is the way to go, I expect
to surpass my bets lifts sometime later this
year or early next. I will use a weight I can
do for 3 to 5 reps, to reduce the likelihood
of injury (and you can't get stronger when you
can't train). I expect to get stronger than I
have ever been in the coming years. I love the
fact that I am leaner than I have ever been, too.

Thanks for all you do.

Micah Elder"

Micah -- thanks for sharing your SHORT AND SWEAT
workout! (What a great phrase!)

I get TONS of emails from Dinos of all ages (and
especially older Dinos) who have dropped the long
and complex programs they used to follow and
moved on to programs similar in volume to
yours -- and they've astonished themselves by
how well their SHORT AND SWEAT workouts have
worked!

Keep me posted on your training your progress,
and let me know when you hit your all-time, best
ever poundages. Being stronger than ever at age
50 or 51 is a HUGE accomplishment -- but if anyone
can do it, a Dino can!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. For more detail on effective training for
older lifters, grab GRAY HAIR AND BLACK IRON:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. For more about abbreviated strength training
(and about ultra-abbreviated workouts), grab STRENGTH,
MUSCLE AND POWER:

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

P.S. 3. For workouts for beginners, intermediates,
advanced trainees and guys who are seeking the ultimate
in strength and muscle mass (50 programs in all), grab
CHALK AND SWEAT:

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

P.S. 4. Thought for the Day: "Less is more, but no one
believes it until they try it." -- Brooks Kubik