Silence is Iron!


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

I rec’d a ton of feedback in response to yesterday’s post, “The Sound of Silence (And Heavy Iron).” Seven guys hit the “unsubscribe” button because they don’t like to think when they train. (Good luck to them.)  But several other readers had a different sort of reaction:

“Well Brooks, you are touching on a subject close to my heart.  Silence! Deep relaxing silence!  I have been profoundly deaf since I was 6 years old, I'm 77 now, I never wear my hearing aid when training, I don't know how you hearing people can concentrate with all the background noise. A hearing aid doesn't allow me to cut out background noise as hearing people can, so I can concentrate and relax far better without it. I consider myself lucky in having that choice.  Why don't you get some ear-plugs from the chemist, try them and see how much more you can relax and concentrate?”

Kevin Fitzgerald 

[Note by Brooks: Kevin Fitzgerald is a long-time Dino Training fan, and one of the strongest 77 year olds in the world. You wouldn’t believe how much he handles out in his tool shed turned gymnasium.]

“In response to your emails today I am 32 and have preferred to train in silence for many years.”

Len Kelly

[Note by Brooks: Len was one of many younger Dinos who reported that they, too, like to train in their personal “Fortress of Solitude.”]

“I hear ya! I'm 36 and would love to work out without hearing music in my gym (I am already burned out for life on AC/DC and Boston).  But even with that distraction, I have learned to block it out as best I can -- I just listen to myself breathe.”

Heath Davis

[Note by Brooks: Heath and several other Dinos say they focus on their breathing as a way of shutting out background noise and other distractions. Try it sometime!]

“Interesting, Brooks!  I am same age as you, and I stopped playing music while I lift a few years ago. It had become a distraction. I now find it much better to focus on the upcoming lift, including the timing of when I am ready to go again after catching my breath, etc.”

Brian DeLong

[Note by Brooks: That sounds very much like what I am doing!]

“Excellent email today.  Personally, I can't get into having music blasting when I'm lifting.  I do it out in my shed in silence.  I'm 26 years old though, so who knows how I'll feel as I get older.  Doubt I see that changing, though -- I related completely to you saying it was almost spiritual.” Jim Arkuszewski

[Note by Brooks: Jim is another one of the younger Dinos who “gets it.’]

“I don't like it quiet when I train. I have my radio tuned to the Rock station, but unfortunately sometimes they have a football game call or a magazine type program because they're trying to be the "Real Man's" radio station and they figure "real men" like to listen to football games and to guys talking about football games. I switch to CD when that happens and play an mp3 CD of heavy Rock like Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent,
or similar. That helps fire me up. I'd rather lose my hearing than willingly listen to a football game call.

Incidentally, it was determined years ago in a university test (probably using the ubiquitous previously untrained college freshmen) that listening to Rock music while you train helps you to perform better and go harder, whereas listening to Country music makes you not go so well and actually get weaker. I'm not making this stuff up!”

Jim McCallister

[Note by Brooks: Jim McCallister is a former Australian powerlifting champion AND a professional musician, so he has a unique take on training and music. I think music works better for powerlifting workouts than for Olympic lifting workouts.]

“I am only 40 years of age and I have been training in silence for some time now. I do so for exactly the same reasons you describe. Even when I was younger, I usually found that I could accomplish more when I dug deep and harnessed the power from within (whatever the task). I believe it is from within oneself that true power lies. To add to your quote for the day is another quote, that I may have even gotten from one of your past emails, I don't recall (it was so good I had to write it down). Here it is:

“Doubt is the great human traitor that strangles more ability and keeps more splendid men and women in mediocrity, makes more people fail in life, than almost anything else.” -- Orison Swett Marden

Don't doubt your ability to lift that weight - just dig deep and lift it.”

Paul Marcazzo

[Note by Brooks: That’s a great quote by O.S. Marden – and a great quote from Paul to end his email.]

 “I really enjoyed today's message on lifting "different". While not quite as old as you (I'm just 52), I too find I prefer the basement quiet. Haven't played any Nazareth or the Matrix soundtrack for a year or so. One other thing I find different now -- I don't do the typical set/rep format. Now I much prefer to do cycles of 4-5 exercises with 2-3 stretches thrown in as part of the cycle -- then I repeat the cycle 2-5 times depending (usually on my 5 year old grand-daughter's presence in the basement, as she loves to be down there
with me!). I even toss in some heavy bag work as a cycle exercise. And all this gets done in about 40 minutes so it's pretty efficient. This "cycle" approach seems to spread out the work and results in a lot less joint and muscle soreness. Sore and stiff seemed like a badge of honor when I was in my 20-30s and now it's just annoying.”

Jim Johann Jr

[Note by Brooks: That’s a good workout idea, Jim – especially for the older guys. I have  a number of similar workouts in Gray Hair and Black Iron. They’re a great way to do some lifter-style conditioning workouts that are much more fun than conventional cardio – and much easier on your joints! And good job getting your granddaughter interested in working out! You may have an Olympic gold medal winner in 2028!] 

“This was a surprisingly peaceful post, to reference the same idea in the post.

I wondered if you could talk more about how you practice relaxing your muscles in the future. This does not automatically trigger ideas aside from a technique some people use to help them sleep: Contract individual muscles, hold the contract for a few seconds, then relax.”

Rick Pack, Jr.

[Note by Brooks: my new CD, The Seven Keys to Concentration, details the techniques I use to enhance my ability to concentrate in my workouts. The same techniques help to relax the muscles, as well. The other thing I do is to make a conscious effort to stay loose rather than tightening up as the weight gets heavier. Note that this approach works for Olympic lifting workouts. For powerlifting workouts, a different approach might be better. You need to stay tighter in powerlifting.]

TO EVERYONE – Thanks for responding to the post! I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. You can order my new CD, The Seven Keys to Concentration, from Carl Lanore at the below link. If you order from Carl, the cosyt is $19.95 plus s&h:


If you prefer, you can order the CD from me by adding it to your next order for one of my books, courses, or DVD’s. If you add the CD to your order for other Dino goodies, you’ll pay an additional $19.95 for CD, but there will be no additional s&h charges, since we can ship it with whatever else you purchase. If you’re interested in doing that, shoot me an email before placing your order, and I’ll tell you how to make it happen.

P.S. 2. I cover the mental aspects of strength training in detail in Dinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of Strength and Power – in Strength, Muscle and Power – and in Dinosaur Bodyweight Training. You can find them right here at Dino Headquarters:


P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: “They say that silence is golden, but to a lifter, silence is iron.” – Brooks Kubik