The Gym of the Future

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

When I was a kid, people speculated about
the Gym of the Future and what it would
look like.

The consensus was a sterile environment
that looked a little bit like the inside
of a spaceship, with lots of complicated
chrome plated machines that looked like
Nautilus machines, but were far more
sophisticated and infinitely more
complex.

Some people thought the machines would be
computerized. They would keep records of
each trainee. When you went to the gym, you
would insert your membership card, and the
computer would look at what you did the last
time and decide what you should do this time.

They said it would be great. You wouldn't
have to think about what to do. The computer
would do all of your thinking for you.

The computer would coach you through your
entire workout, telling you to move faster,
move slower, to do another rep, etc.

That was after 2001: A Space Oddyssey, and so
we probably should have known better -- but
it was before Bladerunner and before The
Terminator, so maybe it's understandable
that folks thought that having a computer
in charge of your workouts would be a good
thing.

Thankfully, it didn't happen. Or maybe it
did, but not at any gyms I've ever been to.
And it sure as heck hasn't happened out in
my garage.

The barbells and dumbbells aren't nearly
as high-tech as the chrome-plated miracle
machines, and the closest thing to a
computerized lifting coach is one of the
cats walking by and twitching his tail if
he thinks I need to do another set of squats
or deadlifts. (At least, I think that's
what he means. I always do them anyway,
just in case.)

In short, I'm not training the way the
futurists said we'd be training. I'm training
the way serious lifters have been training for
well over 100 years. The futurists would
probably call it old-fashioned.

They can call it what they will. It works
pretty darn well.

Not only that -- but it's a heck of a lot more
fun than listening to a disembodied computer
voice telling me to "Do another rep."

Hey, I know you're smarter than I am, Mr.
Computer -- but honestly, I can figure that
one out on my own.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. The pre-publication special for Dinosaur
Dumbbell Training goes live at 9:00 EST on
Tuesday morning. To see it, follow the link
at 8:55 a.m. and start to hit your REFRESH
button. The countdown clock will morph into
a sales page at 9:00 -- but you have to keep
on hitting the REFRESH button:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are always
available at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "I never tell
anyone they have to do squats -- not unless
they want to get bigger and stronger." -- Brooks
Kubik