My Current Training Program

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We were in radio silence yesterday --
meaning, I wasn't able to send an
email message or put anything up on
the Dinosaur Training Blog. So don't
worry about missing anything -- you
didn't!

That means today counts as Monday,
so we'll start the week by talking
about training.

I've been doing two workouts a week
for the past month or so, and it's
been working well. The extra rest
gives me more time for recovery,
and I feel strong and fresh in
each workout.

I've been doing two exercises in
each workout: power snatches and
the power clean and jerk (using
either a split jerk or a power
jerk).

I do singles on each exercise. I
take 10 to 15 minutes to do a good
general warm-up, and then I start
in on my lifting. I begin with the
empty bar and work up from there.

To save time, I do one power snatch,
rest briefly, do one clean and jerk,
and then add weight to the bar. I work
pretty fast, with very short rests on
the lighter sets -- really, it's no
more than the time it takes to change
the weight, take a sip of water, or
make a note in my workout log.

When I get close to my top weight for
the day in snatches, I may stop doing
clean and jerk, and just do snatches,
with a two or three minute rest
between snatches.

When I finish the snatches I add weight
and do my next clean and jerk -- and
then I move up from there until I hit
my top clean and jerk for the day.

Each workout takes 45 to 60 minutes
from start to finish, and as I noted
earlier, my recovery has been really
good. So it seems like I'm doing "the
right amount" of work for my 55-year
old body.

Mike Burgener uses a similar program
for his lifters in the Masters division
(age 35 and up). He's had good results
with it.

This month, I want to try including
some front squats or back squats. I'll
do them after the snatch and clean and
jerk. And again, I'll start light, do
singles, and work up quickly to my top
weight for the day.

That may or may not prove to be too
much work, but we'll give it a try
and see what happens. Successful
training is all about intelligent
experimentation, and making sensible
changes as you grow older.

Anyhow, I'll be hitting the iron later
today, and I'm looking forward to it.
If you train today, we'll be training
partners.

As always, thanks for reading and
have a great day. If you train today,
make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Dinosaur Dumbbell Training is at
the printer and I will be getting the
copies and shipping them very soon. If
you have not reserved your copy, do it
now:

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses are
right here at Dino Headquarters:

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Training is
serious business, but don't forget to have
fun while you're doing it." -- Brooks Kubik