Did You Ever Use a BullWorker?

 
I always wanted a Bullworker, but I never got one. My parents bought me a barbell and dumbbell set instead. Today, 50 years later, I'm still using my barbell - hitting it hard, and having lots of fun!


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes, and then we'll talk
iron.



1. 10 Left!

I have TEN copies of Black Iron:
The
John Davis Story.

I'm not going to reprint the book, so
these are the very last ones.

$34.95 plus shipping and handling -
email me if you want to order one.

This book is nearly 500 pages long,
and covers the life, lifting and training
of John Davis, two time Olympic gold
medal winner and six-time World
weightlifting champion. It's a MUST
HAVE for anyone interested in old
school strength training and Iron
Game history.

UPDATE: Sorry, we are all out of this
book now. A very big thank you to everyone
who grabbed a copy while it was available!

2. The Strength Training Q and A -
Vol. 2

The little monster is being printed
today - and it's a great little book.

It has detailed answers to 20 training
questions from Dinos around the
world.

Good stuff - tons of info - and lots
of great workouts.

I'll send an email with links to the
order page as soon as I can. Be
looking for it.

3. Did You Ever Use a Bullworker?

Do you remember the Bullworker
ads from the 1960's and 1970's?

It was a long metal tube with rubber
handgrips at each end, and two
rubber cables running down the
side.

You squeezed the tube - pulled on
the cables - and did exercises that
looked like partial curls, reverse
curls, lateral raises, upright rows,
and so on.

The ads featured a well-built guy
with upper arms popping out of
his t-shirt, so you knew it must
be good.

The ads also said the Bullworker
combined isometric and isotonic
exercise.

Language like that was all the
rage back then - and for a skinny
kid like me, it was hard to resist.

I mean, we all knew isometrics
were great - and so were isotonics
(whatever those were) - but put
them together, and WOW!

You'd have something unbeatable.

But I never got one.

Too expensive for a kid on a 25
cents a week allowance. That was
barely enough money to buy base-
ball cards.

Instead, I talked my parents in to
buying me a 110-pound barbell set
for my birthday - and that turned
out to be much better.

There used to be tons of exercise
gadgets similar to the Bullworker.

Iron horseshoes - the Chest-o-Flex -
and various isometric exercisers.

They were okay for limited range
upper body stuff - especially for
arm work - but they didn't give
you any real options for training
your legs and back. As a result,
none of them did very much to
build serious strength and
muscle mass.

That 110-pound barbell set was
a heck of a lot better - and even
today, 50 years later, it's pretty
hard to beat barbells and dumb-
bells for all-around strength and
muscle building.

Which is what I'll be doing later
today - using my barbell, and
hitting it hard out in the drive-
way in back of our duplex.

Heck, it's been 50 years now -
half a century - and the workouts
are still fun, still productive and
still effective. And that tells you
something very important about
barbells.

Of course, if I ever spot an old
Bullworker for sale, I might have
to go ahead and buy it.

Just because.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik




P.S. Chalk and Sweat gives you 50
great barbell and dumbbell workouts.

Go here to grab the little monster:

http://www.brookskubik.com/chalk_and_sweat.html

P.S. My other books and courses
are right here at Dino Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

P.S. 2. Thought for the Day:

"Barbells and dumbbells are about
as old-school as you can get - but
they're still pretty darn effective!"


- Brooks Kubik


BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: