The Original 100 Rep Challenge!



A year or two after I specialized o heavy dumbbell training, I tried something a little different - and gave it a try to see how it would work.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Back in the 1940's and 1950's,
Big Joe Hise experimented with
some 100 rep challenge workouts.
He focused on the military press.

Did 100 single reps over the course
of several hours.

One of his training partners wrote
about it in Peary Rader's IronMan
magazine.

He said it worked really well.

Kim Wood tried the 100 rep challenge
when he was in college and got good
results with it.

He told me about it, and I gave it a
try.

I did 100 reps in bottom position squats
with 315 pounds - and over the course
of five or six weeks I worked up to 350
pounds.

I also did Trap Bar deadlifts for 100 reps
with 315 pounds - and kept at it until I
worked up to 350 pounds.

I stopped at that point.

The workouts were just too long and too
hard to recover from.

I wrote about it in the old Dinosaur
Files newsletter, and a number of
readers gave it a try.

They all enjoyed the challenge - got
sore as heck - and after awhile they
went back to more sustainable work-
outs.

In other words, we all learned the
same thing. Over the long haul, less
is better.

Anyhow, when we moved two years ago,
I was cleaning out some boxes of old
stuff, and I found an old VHS tape
labeled:

Life in the Dino Dungeon - Trap Bar
Deadlifts - 100 Reps

And then I remembered - I had filmed
one of those crazy 100 rep Trap Bar
deadlift workouts!

At that point, I didn't even have a VHS
player. So I gave the tape to John Wood,
and said he could put it up on the Iron
League if he wanted to do so.

It took a long time to convert the little
monster - but John finally did it - and
now you can see the entire workout.

All 100 reps.

Nothing but Trap Bar deadlifts, chalk,
sweat, and one very tired (but very
determined) Dinosaur.

It's not the fanciest workout in the
world - and it doesn't have any of the
cool (but silly) exercises you see on
Insta-Monkey, Face Pages, and
Monkey Tube - but it's a pretty hard
workout.

And it's up there for all Iron League
members to see.

So if you're an Iron League member,
check it out - and let me know what
you think!

Yours in strength,


Brooks Kubik

P.S. Go here to join the Iron League -
and tell John I sent you!

https://www.ironleague.com/