The Top Training Program of 1969

The training course that came with my very first barbell. I still have it - and it includes the exact training course I followed way back in 1969.

Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Back in 1969, when I was 11 years old,
I devised what was probably the best
training program of the year.

I wrote it down in the "notes" section
of the little booklet that came with my
very first barbell set.

And I still have it.

By this point in time, I had been
reading the muscle comics for a year
or two - so i was pretty much of an
expert when it came to strength
training and muscle-building. (At
least, I thought I was.)

I knew all about supersets, tri-sets,
burns, pumping, bombing, blasting,
and blitzing - as well as cheating,
forced reps, muscle priority, muscle
confusion, and a bunch of other stuff
that I (thankfully) forgot about long
ago.

I also knew all the best exercises for
the different muscle groups:

1. The best exercises for cannonball
delts (including one I got from Mr.
Kleen, a professional wrestler in the
Chicago AWA promotion who demon-
strated exercises after winning his
matches).

2. The best exercises for baseball
biceps (including another one from
Mr. Kleen).

3. The best exercises for horseshoe
triceps.

4. The best exercises for barn-door
lats.

5. The best exercises for washboard
abs.

6. The best exercises for gladiator
pecs.

7. I'm sure I would have known the
best exercises for tree-swinging traps,
but the phrase wasn't around yet.

I think I also knew the best exercises
for the legs and back - but I don't
remember what they were, or what
the corresponding adjectives were.

Back then, leg and back training
wasn't nearly as important as
building baseball biceps - at least,
not in the muscle comics - and
certainly not for an impressionable
11-year old.

Anyhow, I wrote the entire program
in that old training course.

And you can see it - because I
loaned it to John Wood, and John
is putting it up at The Iron League
website.

Consider it a small slice of Iron Game
history - and for everyone my age or
older, a fun trip down Memory Lane.

Of course, there's plenty of other
great stuff posted at The Iron
League - including a long-lost,
never before seen video of yours
truly hitting a special 100 rep
Trap Bar deadlift workout in the
original Dino Dungeon.

Fun stuff - and great memories.

Go here to join The Iron League -
and tell John I sent you:

https://www.ironleague.com/

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik