The No. 1 Way to Avoid Dings and Dents

 
At age 60, I still train hard, heavy and serious - but I listen to my body, and if an exercise hurts, I replace it with one that doesn't. 


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

We live in a part of town called The Highlands,
and as you can guess, it has a lot of hills.

When I was younger, I used to go to the park
and do hill sprints while carrying a pair of 70
pound dumbbells.

But today, at age 60, I don't do them any more.

They're just too hard on my ankles and my
achilles tendons.

As you grow older, the blood flow to your achilles
tendons diminishes. They get tighter and stiffer,
even if you stretch them. And you can make
them really sore -- as in, inflamed -- with
sprints or hill sprints.

The barbell has been a good friend for over 50 years - and I want us to stay friends for many more years to come.


My chosen sport is weightlifting, and I need to
keep my ankles and achilles tendons strong and
health for lifting. So I pass on the sprints and
the hill sprints -- even though, as I said, I once
did them, and I liked doing them.

That's the kind of adjustment you need to
make as you grow older. You always need
to keep training, of course -- but you may
need to change the way you train, or change
your exercises.

If something hurts, you may want to find an
alternative.

Front squats are my go to exercise for leg strength. That's a change from 20 or 30 years ago, but change is okay as you grow older.


If not, you're on the road to Ding and Dent
Land.

Also known as the Island of Lost Lifters.

And that's the number one way to avoid dings
and dents as you grow older. It's called listening
to your body -- and training SMART.

As always, thanks for reading and have a great
day. If you train today, make it a good one.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I cover many other ways to avoid or reduce
dings and dents in Gray Hair and Black Iron:

http://www.brookskubik.com/grayhair_blackiron.html

P.S. 2. My other books and courses
are right here at Dino Headquarters:

Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html

Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/oldschool_01-kindle.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day: "Train hard,
but
train smart. Smart is what keeps you
lifting
for a long, long time." -- Brooks
Kubik


We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - head on over and take a look:

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html