The Strongest Man in the World

 
When I was a kid, my dad trained with a barbell on the concrete patio of our small house in Park Forest, Illinois. It's more than 50 years later, and I'm training with a barbell on the concrete drive-way in back of our apartment. I guess some things never change.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

My dad was a skinny kid for
pretty much his entire life.

But then he discovered weight
training at age 35 or so.

Dad made his first barbells
and dumbbells the old-fashioned
way.

Tin cans filled with concrete for
weights - and an old broomstick
for the bar.

Another old broomstick cut into
proper-sized lengths for dumbbell
handles.

That worked pretty well, so Dad
went ahead and bought a real
barbell and dumbbell set.

A 110 pound set with iron plates,
two dumbbell handles and a five-
foot bar.

He gained 20 or 30 pounds of
muscle with very basic workouts.

Presses, curls, rowing, floor presses,
upright rowing, and so on.

He got so strong he had to buy
more weight - so he bought two
25 pound plates.

Black iron, thick, and menacing.

They were awesome.

I watched him train, and I watched
him get bigger and bigger - and it
made a real impression on me.

And that's what got me started in
the Iron Game.

I imagine that many of you have
similar stories.

Anyhow, I started training because
I saw how well it worked for Dad.

Dad's gone now, but I'm still training.

And I'm going to keep on training for
a very long time.

Because that's what Dad would have
wanted.

Anyhow, it's Father's Day - so let me
say:

Happy Father's Day to all the Dino
Dads - and to the men who helped
get us started in the Iron Game!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik


 
We have more than 25 Dinosaur training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - head on over and take a look:

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html