Ten Things I Wish I Had Done 45 Years Ago!

I never did front squats when I was in high school - and now I wish I had done them. Here are 10 more things I wish I had done back then.


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes, and then we'll talk
training.

1. The April Dino Files

Do you have the April issue of The
Dinosaur Files?

If not, go here to grab it:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles-april2018.html

Likewise, if you missed the March
issue, you can find it here:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur-files-march2018pdf.html

I'm working on the May issue, and
it's looking good - I'll send an email
when it's ready to go.

2. The Retro Strength Shop

John Wood continues to add tons of
great stuff to the Retro Strength
Shop - including some killer Dinosaur
tee shirts, hoodies, coffee mugs and
posters.

Check them out:

https://www.retrostrength.com/shop/

3. Ten Things I Wish I Had Done 45
Years Ago


After awhile, you look back on life and
think about things you've done - and
things you wish you had done.

Here are 10 things I wish I had done
when I was a high school wrestler 45
years ago.

Sure, I trained - a lot - and I did pretty
well - but I would have done a lot better
if I had focused on some of these things.

1. More Dumbbell Training!

I wish I had done more dumbbell training
back then.

Dumbbells rock - especially if you do
old-school dumbbell exercises - the kind
I teach in Dinosaur Dumbbell Training.

2. Cleans and snatches.

I wish I had done more cleans and
snatches.

I'm talking barbell power cleans and
barbell power snatches.

And the power clean and press - or
push press.

These are great for wrestlers - or for
anyone else.

3. Trap Bar Deadlifts.

These may be the very best lower body
exercise for wrestlers.

They mimic the lifting and pulling in a
wrestling match very well.

4. Serious Grip Work.

The kind I cover in Dinosaur Training
and Strength, Muscle and Power.

And for the record - I wish I had started
grip work at age 5 or so.

Or even earlier.

5. Push-ups and Pull-ups.

All kinds of different push-ups and
pull-ups - including those killer double
rope pull-ups in Dinosaur Bodyweight
Training.

6. Never Seen a Muscle Magazine.

Seriously - I wish I had never seen
a muscle magazine when I was a kid.

They hurt more than they helped.

Too much focus on bodybuilding and
bodybuilding workouts.

Very little on strength training for
athletes.

7. Thick Bar Work.

It's perfect for wrestlers.

Great for everyone else - but perfect
for wrestlers.

8. More Sprints.

We ran laps - or went out and jogged a
couple of miles - but sprints would have
been better.

Or, at least, they would have been a very
good addition to the program.

Hill sprints also would have been very
good - except we didn't have any hills
by my high school.

9. Jump Rope.

Jumping rope - the way boxers do it,
using a high quality leather rope - is
a very good, much neglected, totally
under-rated exercise.

Boxers do it all the time, and that should
tell you something.

10. Taken a Chance.

There was a cute little girl in the front row
of my English class.

I should have taken a chance and asked
her out.

Because, after all, that's what really
matters in life.

Taking a chance - and seeing what
happens.

Applies to lifting - and to any kind of
training - and to life in general.

The Wrap-Up

So there you have it.

Ten things I wish I had done differently
back in high school.

But guess what - I ended up doing 9 out
of 10 of them - and even if I never asked
out the girl in English class, I did ask Trudi
out - and that worked out pretty well.

Anyhow, as always, thanks for reading
and have a great day.

If you train today, make it a good one!

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. I mentioned a couple of great books
in today's post. You can find them right
here:



Dinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of
Strength and Power

The little blue book they call "The Bible
of Strength Training."

Tons of great training ideas - thick bars,
sandbags, heavy awkward objects, death
sets, single rep training, abbreviated work-
outs, power rack training, and some very
important chapters on the all-important
mental aspects of strength training.

Includes some of my favorite workouts.

A best-seller since 1996.

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html



Dinosaur Dumbbell Training

Tons of old-school dumbbell exercises -
and over 50 complete workouts.

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_dumbbelltraining.html



Dinosaur Bodyweight Training

A complete course in old-school body-
weight training - with plenty of killer
exercises - and more than 50 workouts.

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodyweight.html




Strength, Muscle and Power

Power rack training, isometronics, rest
pause training, mind power, finishers,
grip work, sandbags, barrels, one-hand
deadlifts, tendon and ligament strength,
home gym training, specialization, some
of my favorite abbreviated and ultra-
abbreviated workouts - and much more!

Includes so many workouts I can't count
them all.

http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

P.S. 2. Thought for the Day

"Study the past to build the best
possible future."

- Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: