The Red Wagon Gym

John Grimek started his career training at home with a basic barbell set - and so did almost all of the old-time champions. 


Hail to the Dinosaurs!

Two quick notes and then we'll talk iron.

1. The Dinosaur Files

I'm working away on the May issue
The Dinosaur Files - but in the meantime,
if you don't already have the April issue, go
here to grab it:

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaurfiles-april2018.html

Also - if you missed the Oct, Nov, Dec,
Jan, Feb or March issues. you can grab
them here:

Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan issues

http://brookskubik.com/dinosaur_files.html

Feb issue

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur-files-february2018pdf.html

March issue

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur-files-march2018pdf.html

The Dinosaur Files comes in a down-
loadable PDF with immediate electronic
delivery. Once you have it, you can save
it on your PC or print it out (or do both).

If you'd prefer to purchase a one year,
12-issue subscription, shoot me an email -
we can make that happen.

2. The John Wood Report, Issue 3

It's a great issue - with some really
interesting exercises and workouts -
and you can get it right here:

https://www.oldtimestrongman.com/johnwoodreport03.html

My favorite in this issue of The JohnWood Report is the article on the
special grip, wrist and forearm exercise
from the Shao Lin Monastery. I think
you'll like it, too.

3. The Red Wagon Gym

When I was a kid, I got a bodybuilding
course written by Bruno Sammartino, the
famous professional wrestling champion.

It was for home gym trainees - for guys
who were just getting started - and it
included some simple plans for building
a wooden weight bench and a set of
wooden squat stands.

Bruno said that all you needed for a great
gym was a barbell, a weight bench and a
set of squat stands.

I wasn't much of a carpenter, and neither
was my dad, so I never tried building the
bench.

But I did build a set of wooden squat
stands when I was 18 or 19.

They worked pretty well - I used them
for squats in the 300 to 350 pound range.

Anyhow, with that background, picture the
following.

It was 20 or 25 years ago.

Early evening on what had been a pleasant,
sunny day.

I was taking my dog for a walk.

And we see the strangest looking thing
coming toward us.

It's one of those little red wagons that
we all had when we were kids.

And perched precariously on top of the
wagon is a wooden weight bench - and a
set of wooden squat stands!

Just like the ones in the Bruno course!

A man was pulling the wagon down the
street.

A young boy was walking beside the wagon,
one hand braced against the weight bench
to keep it from tipping over.

Father and son, obviously.

The kid had the biggest smile you ever
saw.

He obviously knew he had found a real
treasure.

I called over to them.

"Wow - those look familiar!"

The man looked at me in surprise -
and with a bit of concern.

"Are these yours?" he asked.

"No - but I used to have a set of squat
stands like that - and I always wanted a
bench like that. Where'd you find them?"

"A couple of blocks back. Someone put
them out for the trash. I'm taking them
home for my boy."

I looked at the kid.

He was perhaps 11 or 12 years old - dark
hair - skinny as a rail - thick glasses.

Me when I was his age.

"You've got yourself a great gym there,"
I told him. "Get yourself a barbell, train
hard and you'll get really big and strong."

He nodded his head up and down.

You could see the determination in his
face.

"I will," he said.

They kept on going, turned the corner,
and I never saw them again.

Sometimes I wonder how the kid did - and
how much strength and muscle he built with
that wooden weight bench and those wooden
squat stands.

I'm betting it was a lot.

Yours in strength,

Brooks Kubik

P.S. Strength, Muscle and Power has a
great chapter on home gym equipment and
home gym training - along with plenty of
great workouts.

We're down to the last box - and I'm not 
going to do another printing any time soon -
so if you want a copy, grab it now:



http://www.brookskubik.com/strength_muscle_power.html

2.  My other books and courses are
right here at Dino Headquarters:



Hard-copy and PDF

http://www.brookskubik.com/products.html



Kindle

http://www.brookskubik.com/kindle.html

P.S. 3. Thought for the Day

"The best place to start is at the
beginning - and in strength training,
it doesn't take much equipment to
get started."


- Brooks Kubik

BEFORE YOU LEAVE . . .

We have more than 25 Dinosaur Training books and courses in the Kindle bookstore - here are several of them - head on over and take a look at the others: